A New Year...A New Role...

When I joined the Council in 2012 I told the members then that I would serve while keeping my priorities of Faith, Family and Community Service in order. Over the past 6 years I have tried very hard to do just that. I thank God for wisdom and patience in my decision making. I want to thank my wife, Chris, the rock of our family, and for my children, Marissa and Jason, who support me, and let me do what I enjoy and it is my hope that they have seen the value of community service through my actions. For without the support of my family, I would be unable to serve.

I’d like to thank Mayor Thomas Andes for your friendship, support and counsel over the past 6 years. Additionally, Administrator Steve Ward, thank you for your patience, listening and responsiveness. I want to thank the residents of Ward 1 for their continued support. It is much appreciated.

I’d like to thank all the volunteers who make our township as great as it is; the 9th Best Town in NJ in which to live according to NJ.com and most recently named the Most “Hippie” Town in New Jersey.  Because of the contributions of so many, the residents of Denville make our township a caring, clean, active and forward thinking community.  

I would like to thank the various elected officials in attendance, past and present,  for attending tonight’s reorganizational meeting.  I want thank you Pastor Ed Carll for sharing the Invocation with us this evening and for serving our township as the Fire Department’s Chaplin.  We wish you well as you look to retire this Summer.  As you alluded to in your invocation, we continually pray for wisdom in all our deliberations and decision making. I’d also like to thank the Boy Scouts from Troop 17 for their participation with presenting the colors this evening.

Finally, I’d like to thank Christopher Golinski, Don Kuser and Gene Fitzpatrick for all their contributions and service to our township and to this council. They have been great role models for me and I appreciate that. To Former Mayor Gene Feyl , thank you for giving me my first appointment as a member of the Local Assistance Board. I’ve enjoyed serving our township ever since.

And to the new incoming council members, Congratulations on your recent election and to my fellow council members, I look forward to serving with all of you as we address the important needs of our township together. Each one of you brings something special to this council:

Councilwoman Lyden – as the most senior member of the council, and I mean that with a lower case “s” and not upper case “S”, we will all benefit you’re your experience and knowledge and decisiveness
Councilman Murphy –for your leadership brought from Board of Adjustment appointment as well as a deep desire to see our downtown prosper and become a destination location. We look forward to you helping to guide us
Councilwoman White – continued engagement with Seniors, Denville, P.R.I.D.E, the schools - continue to keep us informed about the activities in our community
Newly elected Councilman Bergen – who wouldn’t want a West Point graduate and Apache helicopter pilot on their team? I look forward to your continued active community involvement and leadership.
Newly elected Councilman Buie – experience with Planning Board, knowledge of our community and leadership
Newly elected Councilman Boroweic – insight into financial matters, your love of organized sports will be invaluable to this council.

I look forward to working with the council, debating the tough issues, finding solutions and putting ordinances and plans into place that support the wishes of the residents of Denville. We look forward to residents making their voices heard as well. All residents are welcome to attend any Council meeting to address the council. We will also do our best to be as transparent as we can and leverage numerous channels to communicate with residents. 

As was stated in the Oath of Office I just took, I will “do my best” as I serve as Council President. It is no coincidence that the Boy Scout’s Oath contains the same “Do Your Best” and I have lived that promise for practically my entire life. I look forward to doing the same in this role.

We live in a wonderful township. When I think of Denville or when I visit out of town, I enjoy bragging about our quaint and prosperous downtown, our great school system and our devoted community volunteers that do so much for this township. Hats off to our Volunteer Fire Department, EMT’s and OEM and to our outstanding Police force that keep us safe and keep the peace each and every day.  To our DPW and all township employees, we also say thank you.

As I mentioned, before we do have a number of challenges ahead of us; addressing our affordable housing obligation, flood mitigation, our evolving downtown, and fiscally responsible budgets, just to mention a few. I look forward to the challenge and I’m confident this very capable council will deliver appropriate resolutions to these challenges.  As we also welcome the Denville School Board to Town Hall later this year, I will want to continue to enhance the relationship we have with the School Board as we address mutually related issues in the future. As we all know, our children are our future.  


So with that I say, let’s get to work.

Remarks January 2, 2018 Township Council Reorganizational Meeting

Comments